Sunday, October 23, 2011

Fat American is Fat

This week I was the fat American. It all started on Tuesday; there was a line in the deli, so we went to the fast food place. I had currywurst, which is one of my favorite foods. When I got home Petra had made a couple cakes for coffee with her friends. She also had to show off her American, and when you sit even remotely close to a platter with food on it, and Petra is near, you will eat till you have three chins. My dinner that night was cake. I have eaten Mcdonalds once a week since I got here, it is the only place open at 2 in the morning. I always wondered why my food cost less then everyone else. I realized that I never ordered Ketchup or Mayo, which is an extra 40 cents. I tried mayo with fries and it is pretty gross, but ze Germans can't get enough of it. One thing I respect about Petra and Daniel, is that they don't keep "junk food" in the house. My host brothers go crazy when they get there hands on a bag of chips.

Everything has felt like home since the first week here, and that made me wonder, wheres my culture shock! As an American, I can never be blamed for my own problems. I am not sure who to put blame on, my German teacher for teaching so much about the German Culture, or The Germans for not giving me anything to gawk at. I did notice that I don't see my neighbors a lot. Its not like the U.S. where you are really close to your neighbors. Speaking of German teachers teaching things, I was never taught the future tense for verbs. That or I wasn't paying attention. Actually Germans do not use the verb Werden or add   -te to the end of words to make them past tense. Petra said it is how they can see who is actually from Germany and who isn't. This week was Fritz's week to learn the future tense in English and I am so glad I was born in an English speaking country.

People who don't speak English tho, are my Physics Teacher, who looks like my dad, and the Polish cleaning lady that comes every Friday. I haven't practiced my Polish with her yet, but I think if I did she wouldn't clean my room. The kids here love the American slang I have been teaching them. American Slang by The Gaslight Anthem is the soundtrack of this week, that or Welcome to St. Tropez by Dj. Antoine. I miss my altrock but I do have Sirius XM to fix that. I am learning to love house music because that always synonymous with a good time. Black Musik is a thing here, I am not sure what it is.

I never talk about my weekends, and you can probably guess why, but this weekend had to be one of the best parties so far in my exchange. It was a Brezel Party in Ahaus, which translate to a Pretzel Party but there were no Pretzels at this party. Someone took a warehouse and turned it into a disco. Thanks to the party, I know have a bruise on my cheek that makes me look like Will Smith after eating shellfish in Hitch. Its funny too, how the kids at my school are two different people. During school they are quiet and hate life but at night they let their freak flag fly. Next week tho, is Halloween in Index so I have big expectations for that one.

Forgot there was a recession in the U.S. still. Germany is like the U.S. 2000. Everyone has a job, they are happy, and they spend! I know that word is crazy spending, that is bad right? People in Europe work to live, and the people in the U.S.A. live to work. There is a new addition to the family this week. Petra wanted an Ipad, so Daniel bought a cheap tablet knock off, but Petra wasn't going to have any of that and she went out and bought herself a new Ipad. She wouldn't believe me when I said they didn't come in pink. She also wouldn't wait for the Ipad 3 in Janurary.

And finally, I must be doing something right because my 1:00 curfew has been lifted and It doesn't matter when I come home, I just can't ride home by myself. Fair deal, they really had to break my arm for that one. I also got an house key so I can't be that crazy. Really, I locked myself out of the house a few times.

No comments:

Post a Comment