Sunday, January 15, 2012

"zurück nach Westerland"

It feels good to be back in Germany. Austria was interesting, but it was also cold and covered with snow. The weather this week has stayed in the mid-40's (6-8̊). After the snow storm last February in Chicagoland, this Winter is nice.

The amazing 28€ German class really cost 98€. We need to take a final German exam, speaking, and apparently speaking cost 70€. I still never regret taking the class. I met so many interesting people from around the world. There's a lady all the way from Cuba. I also learned a few things about one of the languages in Algeria.

I realized this week why Petra, Daniel, and I get along so well. They are not the complete opposite from my parents, but they are not far from that. Petra and Daniel are pushers. My Parents are great, but I really needed Petra and Daniel to help me really experience new things. For example, I have tried foods with them, that I would of never at home because my parents aren't very exotic, and I am not going to spend money on something I might not like. The new foods I know I like are duck, rabbit, snail, and liver. They are not very exotic, but they are also not white toast and water.

This week they are pushing me to take dance lessons with them. I don't want to, but I have a feeling Petra has already signed me up. No is not an answer with them, it is "Nein danke, ich möchte nicht."

I found Petra's recipe for one of my new favorite winter holiday foods, Nussecken.

Original Guildo Horn Nussecken

ingredients

For the dough:
300 g flour
100 g sugar
1 packet of vanilla sugar (1 tbsp. Vanilla Extract)
2 eggs
130 g butter
1 teaspoon Backin

For spreading:

7 tablespoons apricot jam

For the topping
200 g sugar
200 g butter
2 packets of vanilla sugar (2 tbsp. Vanilla Extract)
4 tablespoons water
200 g chopped almonds
200 g chopped hazelnuts

150 g melted chocolate



Process all ingredients for the dough to a Knead dough and leave about 1 / 2 hour in the fridge.
Roll out the dough on a baking sheet, brush with apricot jam.

For the topping: put butter, sugar, vanilla sugar and water in asaucepan and bring to a boil, then while stirring the nuts.
Surface to cool slightly and then spread with apricot jamsmeared on the dough.

At 175 C. Bake for about 45 minutes, let cool.
Only cut into squares and then halve these into triangles.

Pour melted chocolate over one corner and let harden.

No comments:

Post a Comment