Monday, December 12, 2011

American's Have Ugly Accents

This week I had a Rotary weekend. Thanks to that weekend, I have my a stronger American accent from speaking English too much. I love Chicago, and I will tell you it is the greatest city in the world, but we have one of the ugliest "A" and "O" sounds. I was in a bar the other day and I was talking with one of my friends coworkers and we were talking about hockey, I said hockey how I would in English, and he didn't even realize what I was saying.

Petra and I have been betting lately. I have learned I have a gambling problem. Thanks to Albert for actually showering and not talking to his girlfriend on the phone, I have lost my house. Good thing the deed is in the US. I also owe her, I think 2 or 3, gelatoes.

St. Niklas was Tuesday. We all went to Petra's sister's house to celebrate. In Germany, St. Niklas goes around your city on the night of December 5th, and you pay for the bag of chocolate and he comes to your house and delivers it with Rupert. Rupert is a guy dressed in all black, including black face, and goes to scare the bad children. My host family is pretty funny. I think Petra or her sister paid, but I am not sure, anyway, I received a bag from St. Niklas and it was full of chocolate and peanuts, nothing wrong with that. After St. Niklas you are suppose to eat a bread shaped like little men, it was delicious. The Gluehwein was also delicious. I guess I wasn't drinking mine fast enough because my host aunt started talking about how she doesn't like it when it gets cold, and kept asking me if I liked it. I shot gunned the glass and got some more to prove it to her that I liked it.

That was my St. Niklas and Rupert.

So like I said, Rotary was last weekend, and that is why this is late. Rotary was fun, but I missed being in Wessum/Ahaus with everyone else. On friday, we went to The Christmas Market in Muenster. It was pretty cool. I like being in Muenster but they need more things to do, it's kind of a boring city. On Saturday, we went to the planetarium for a half hour (our educational portion.) We sat threw how the world evolved video. Like everyone else, I slept. The Muenster Zoo is on the same grounds so we went there. The Zoo was cool. They even had an exhibit for house rats. It has been a year and a half (mybe two) since I have been ice skating, and I haven't lost any of my skills. It was kind of cool trying to teach other people who have never skated to skate. To get back at us (people from North American that can skate), Rotex took us to a Salsa bar later in the night.

Random thoughts:

Simon came home on Thursday. It is nice to finally have someone around my age. He was on a short exchange to France. Simon is pretty cool, and I feel like we are going to get along fine. There is one thing tho, he's Windows but his desktop is an Apple logo.

Today I was in an Audi today with crank windows and one of those beaded sit covers. I miss when owning an Audi, BMW, or Mercedes meant something classy and not affordability. It wasn't even base model like an A3 or an A1. It was an A4, which is a base sedan, but it had touch screen navi and bluetooth.

No comments:

Post a Comment