Sunday, December 18, 2011

I Wanna be a Fire Fighter When I Grow Up!

It's funny how everything in life happens for a reason. This week Yeli's host dad picked us up from school for our Rotary meeting. He was telling us how he had to stop by the fire station in Ahaus to drop off a computer because he is a volunteer fire chief. One way or another, my extensive knowledge of firefighting allowed me to be able to b.s. a whole conversation. Yeli even went along with it, and know we are going to go through firefighting training. I am kind of excited because the course he was talking about sounds pretty cool.

Then my Rotary Councillor was telling us about how her husband has a model of the I.C.E. railroad. Guess who else had knowledge in the world of H.O. scale railroads, this kid. I am just now realizing all the "pointless things" Jack Hadfield has taught me over the years are really paying off. I think this is the third blog in a row, that I have mentioned you. Thanks old man.

Got my ski equipment for Austria this week! I have this weird feeling about Petra paying for everything. This week she paid for my equipment and my german class. Don't get my wrong, I love it, but I feel like I should be helping out somehow. Anyway, I am excited for Austria. I am going to miss New Years with my friends and that kind of makes me sad, but Austria should make it better.

I am starting to become a local, and that's a nice feeling. The lady at the bakery knows how I like my coffee every saturday morning, black. The lady from the deli across the street from my school tells me how my German is getting better. In fact, Yeli and I were mistaken for Hollanders last week. That is better than being mistaken for that American and that other exchange kid.

Last Sunday, when Yeli and I were killing time before the bus home left Muenster, we were walking around the Christmas Mart. Yeli wanted to look for a jacket, but didn't realize it was a Sunday in Germany. An old man (45-50) came up to me and asked me how to get to the Christmas Mart. It was pretty cool because he actually thought I was German or at least not a visitor. I could actually give him directions with street names and building as check points, and he understood me.

2 comments:

  1. Deutscher Kaffee ist der Bester, oder? Man braucht keinen Zucker und keine Sahne!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ich werde der Kaffee vermissen. Ich muss eine deutsche Kaffeemaschine kaufen!

    ReplyDelete