Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Can't wait until Summer!

Last week Petra planned our Summer Vacation. The originial plan was to go one week on a houseboat in France, and then another week in Tirol(That's Italy). We came to the conclusion, that that would be too much driving. We are now going, one week on a houseboat is middle/southern France, and one week in Western France, on the Atlantic Ocean.

This will be my first time ever seeing the Atlantic Ocean. Kind of a weird thought because I had to fly over it to get to Europe, but I was in the middle section. In Mamabear's and my opinion, we had the best seats on the plane.

It was funny, all my host brothers were excited about the house we will be staying in. It was a nice cape cod/ old English style house in Britanica, France, but I was more excited about the houseboat. Since, I was only out on my boat 3 times last year, I am looking forward to going out on a boat again.

When I saw the house boat, I said wow it's relatively new, and got funny looks because my "Relatively New" is a boat from late 1980's til 90's. I always imagined a house bought as an ugly thing from 1950, that you find on the Chain O'lakes, but this looks more like something that would come from Winthrop Harbor.

When I showed my host family our boat, my host mom asked if we could sleep on it. I laughed a little in my head because it's a tiny fishing boat, maybe 6 meters long. I called it an only fun boat, and my youngest host brother laughed, and the middle was jealous because he loves fishing more than my Dad. I guess I never realized, not everyone has a boat.

I have never been "boatless", and even the Marpert's have a canoe, so that I am still not "Boatless." If they do visit, I think my host brother, Fritz, needs to go Salmon fishing on the Bad Medicine and catch some real fish. Carp are garbage fish.

I am going to start a new thing. I am going to add one of Petra's easy recipes to the bottom of every blog, so that you can cook like a German House Wife. This week is a Dish I didn't know how to name, but Petra called it a Casserole. If you have a better name, I would love to hear it.


Zucchini Gyro Tomato Casserole
Prep Time: 15 minutes Cook time: 25-30 min. Servings: 4-6 people
Ingredients
  • 2 Zucchinis
  • 2 c. (200g.)Grape Tomatoes (1 c. Plum)
  • 1 lb. (500 g.) Gyro Meat
  • 1-2 c. (100-200g.) Gouda Cheese(or Mozzarella) 
  • 1/2 Tbsp. Salt
  • 1 tsp. Pepper
Directions
Pre-heat oven to 375°F (200°C)
Start by washing the vegetables. Slice the zucchinis in half. Scoping out the insides sides (so that you only have a zucchini shell left) and saving the inside of the vegetable in a bowl. Quarter the tomatoes and put them in a small casserole dish. Sprinkle Salt and Pepper over the tomatoes. Finally lay the zucchini halves on top of that.
Cook the gyro meat according to packaged directions in a pan. When the gyro meat is cooked almost finished cooking, add in the insides to the zucchinis. Cook until the meat is finished.
When the meat is finished, stuff the meat into the zucchini halves. Layer the cheese on to zucchini/meat combination and bake until the cheese is bubble and golden brown.
*Note Originally a Weight Watchers Recipe

No comments:

Post a Comment