Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Karneval!

Duisburg is a city that I could give or take... give. I went there Wednesday with a my Art Class on a field trip to a sculpture museum. Driving into Duisburg, is the same as driving into Milwaukee. There's nothing special going on. Homeless people in Duisburg have a funny way of saying hallo, "Fuck you guys, and your moms too. I'm not Joking!" 

The Museum itself was a 1960 disaster. I don't know what it is about the 60's/70's, but they had some of the ugliest/unpractical architecture...

Now that the I'm done with the boring stuff, here's Karneval.

Karneval is probably one of the coolest things I have ever been too. Köln has the best Karneval in Germany to be followed by Düsseldorf. I am not 100% sure, but I believe Berlin and Hamburg do not celebrate Karneval. Karneval is a 4 day event, Thursday through Monday. I have already forgotten the names of each day, but they aren't important. 

Thursday is the ladies day. The girls go around and draw on guys faces, and everyone goes out drinking.

Friday is something, I don't remember, but it involved drinking.

Saturday... Drinking. I arrived in Düsseldorf on Saturday, but Rotex wouldn't let us go into the city.

Sunday is when the real partying starts. We started off the day with go-kart racing. I have always been a good go-kart racer, and I had the best lap time, from what I saw. Then we went into the altstadt for 5 hour free time. 

If anyone has been to New Orleans during Mardi Gras, then they will know what I am about to explain. Karneval, unlike Mardi Gras, is all ages and starts around 11 in the morning. It was funny seeing parents pull a wagon with their alcohol and kids in the back. There were also a ton of drunk old people (60+) waddling through the altstadt with the younger crowd. Everyone having a good time. Mardi Gras in New Orleans is a couple streets, from what I have seen. Karneval in Düsseldorf is the whole altstadt (a few square blocks), and every street is packed. It's like a combo Mardi Gras and a rave. One of the best parts was when it started to lightly hail and everyone was dancing in the street. Rotary wouldn't let us stay out after 6 because I am sure it only got crazier then. 

After the hail was done, I was able to get this picture of the Rhein and important tower, that every German city seems to have in Düsseldorf. This was the only photo I took with my camera.


Monday is the day everyone dresses up. You look stupid if you aren't. The whole weekend is a costume weekend, but most people do it on Monday. Düsseldorf had a parade at 12:30, but most of us went back to the Altstadt because once you have seen one parade, you have seen them all. I did see a few floats from the parade and got an unwrapped muffin thrown at me from a float. 

The U.S. needs to start celebrating Karneval because it is one of those things, that you will never forget. 

No comments:

Post a Comment